Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving Favorites!

via
I don't know about ya'll, but I spent many years turning my nose up to some of our Thanksgiving dinner staples. I'm not really sure why! I think I was too young. Since then I've finally given them a try, and let me tell you! I have such a heavy heart that I spent so many years not eating these dishes made by their original cooks! I can't believe I was missing out on what are now my all time favorite Thanksgiving dishes. So, I'm here to share them with you because I'm sure you're looking for juuust one more dish to add to your already full menu.

Grandma's Cranberry Sauce
will need to be doubled or tripled because it's amazing and will go quick!

1 can 15oz whole cranberry sauce
1/4 cup red onion, minced (and by minced I mean small like you can barely see it)
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
dash fresh nutmeg
1 can 11oz mandarin oranges

Mix everything together, and enjoy! Great or even better the next day.

Pop's Red Cabbage

3-4 lbs red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 granny smith apple, chopped
4 T butter
1 T brown sugar
1 cup onion, minced
6 T red wine vinegar
1 cup chicken/beef stock or water
1 t salt
1/2 cup red currant jelly

Melt butter in dutch oven. Add in sugar, apple and onion. Cover and cook on low heat for 4-5 mins. Stir in cabbage and vinegar. Cover and braise for 10 mins. Add stock/water and salt. Cook covered for 2 hours on low heat. Stir occasionally. Stir in jelly before serving. Enjoy!

What are your favorite Thanksgiving dishes? Have you just discovered a family favorite?

Happy Tuesday, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment