Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Well, hello!


It's been a crazy 8 months (to the day) since I last posted. For one, we have the sweetest, most handsome 9 month old that has stolen our hearts more and more with each passing day. That's an obvious update, but let's get down to the real things that matter (wink, wink)! Let's see if I can get everyone (really myself) up to speed on what we've been up to!

What we've been eating... everyone knows I love to cook and if I could really spend my days doing something fulfilling part of that would be with cooking. But, the dinner hour has proven to be a challenge the last 9 months. I think we're finally getting into a good groove though. You know I love my homemade pizzas and the one below did not disappoint! This was sort of a chopped version as I was trying to use what we had on hand and it turned out delicious. Basically it's fresh mozzarella, ricotta, sauteed broccoli, and diced chicken - yum! 



I feel I would be doing everyone a disservice if I didn't pass on the two recipes below as well. I can't remember if we've talked about these carrots before, but I've never been a fan of plain ol' carrots for dinner. The glazed carrots from Cooks Illustrated are anything but and will make you an instant lover.  I've made them so many times my cookbook basically just opens to that page! Last, everyone needs something sweet right?? Do not pass up these chocolate chip cookies from the Pinch of Yum blog. They look basic, but who doesn't like an oldie but a goodie?

Glazed Carrots - Cooks Illustrated
1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch *I use the bagged baby carrots and it works perfectly!
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Bring carrots, broth, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt to boil, covered, over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until carrots are almost tender when poked, about 5 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to high and simmer rapidly, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 1-2 minutes. Add butter and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar to skillet, toss carrots to coat, and cook until carrots are completely tender and glaze is light gold, about 3 minutes. Off heat, add lemon juice and toss to coat.

What we've been reminiscing about... pretty simple - the last 9 months! All of a sudden it's really hit us that we have a 9 month old, and looking back on that time I feel like I had amnesia for most of it! Just thinking back on those long days and nights it feels like years ago. It's crazy how different developmentally babies can be from day to day! The only way I know how to slow the time is by letting G fall asleep on me sometimes. It's just the sweetest and I know that is also quickly coming to an end as well. How do I bottle up the last 9 months so we never forget each step we've taken together?

What I've been loving... tea! You heard it right from the previously self proclaimed Starbucks addict. My current fave is the Blueberry and Aloe Herbal Tea from Bigelow. So yummy and perfect for cooler weather!

What we've been up to... we have been everywhere! Let's see, first we were at the beach with Mr. B's family then we were off to another beach with my family which were both much needed time away. We took family pictures, we went to a wedding and we recently had a weekend away with my college friends and all of their husbands and sweet babies. We basically packed a summer's worth of activities into the last 2 months! 


Atlantic Beach, NC

Holden Beach, NC

my forever date
Leesburg, VA

all the kiddies from our girls weekend! ages 4 months - 5 years
Cherry Grove, SC
What I'm dreading... is it too early to say cold weather?? Ice. Snow. Blah!!

What I'm working on... G's birthday isn't until December, but I've already started thinking about decorations and presents and cake, oh my! First time mother, first born baby problems. Oh well, I guess there could be worse things right??

What I'm excited about... Fall is really a fun time in our family! September is Mr. B's birthday, our anniversary is in October, my birthday is in November and now G's birthday in December. It's crazy, but I'm really excited to celebrate all of those things plus the holidays and all the festivities that come all with that. Is it too early to start listening to Christmas music??

What I'm watching/reading... I've been obsessed with Younger on TV Land this summer! It's such a good show that's reminiscent of Sex and the City. It just ended, but you can catch it on demand. They are already renewed for another season!

I thought with all of our beach time recently that I would have time to read a few books. Um... no one told me I was loco for thinking that. I maybe read 10 pages of Crazy Rich Asians. I've heard such great things about this book, but who knows how long it will take me to read it... ya know between baby duty and all! For real though, of the few pages I did read it's been good so far plus they are making the 3 book series into a movie!



What I'm listening to... 2 things - Radio Andy on XM and Saltwater Gospel by Eli Young Band! All.summer.long!

What we're doing this weekend... considering we've been gone almost 2 months we will be home getting it back in order and enjoying some quiet quality time together!

What we're looking forward to next month... our 2nd anniversary! Maybe we'll get a date night out of it - wink, wink!



If you've made it this far, thank you for sticking around! We all know this is purely for my benefit to type this out, but I've enjoyed revisiting this space of mine and I hope to continue again on a somewhat regular basis. Hopefully, you'll keep coming back!

Happy Wednesday, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment