Monday, November 9, 2015

Guest Blogger - Inaugural Edition

Happy Monday! I'm passing today's post over to my sister. She's giving you her top favorite spots in Buffalo, NY, and I can't wait to check them all out while we're there for Thanksgiving/Birthday festivities!

Enjoy!


----

As Mrs. B has mentioned, her twinsie, (ME!) has moved to Buffalo, NY for my husband to begin a a residency program and new chapter of life! She asked me to give you the rundown of all things Buffalo that have become my favorite and filled the hole of NC. 

So here it goes:

::one:: 
One of our first memories of Buffalo was the most amazing meal at a small Italian restaurant called Trattoria Aroma.  We went there based on a recommendation over the interview weekend and were blown away.  I kept thinking “If we ever live here, Mrs. B would LOVE this place!” Little did I know! With homemade pasta dishes and the most amazing Bloody Mary list for brunch, it definitely is a must!

::two:: 
Having grown up in North Carolina, and especially Raleigh with so many great greenways, I knew I had to find a place for long walks and runs.  My husband and I found the Delaware Park and fell in love from day one.  With a great paved path for long runs that will take you 5 miles and beyond (still working on that!), the park offers great scenery and people watching.  There is a golf course, soccer fields, tennis courts, playgrounds, basketball courts, and a baseball field all within the paved path! During the gorgeous summer months, we were able to see all those sports being played, and more! We love seeing all the activity! One of the best parts is it backs up against the Buffalo Zoo and you are able to see the bison sunbathing!  And if you get thirsty, stop in at Ashker’s for a yummy smoothie – Berry Booster is my favorite!



::three:: 
We decided to venture down to the Canalside to see what all the hype was about and it did not disappoint! At the Erie Canal Harbor, the revitalized Canalside offers music concerts and yoga in the park during the summer months and ice skating during the winter!  The water comes alive with sailboats and boat tours happening throughout the day and is so much fun to experience!

::four:: 
Top restaurant for us to grab a great burger and beer is the Allen Burger Venture.  I am obsessed with the Tuna Tataki burger with a wasabi yuzu dipping sauce! Amazing! But they have plenty of options for everyone’s taste buds!!

::five:: 
Blue Monk covers it all: brunch, afternoon drinks, creative menu, great people watching. What more can we ask for! When it’s warm, definitely sit outside and enjoy the hustle and bustle of Elmwood Avenue.  The menu has so many great options, but my favorite has been the Duck Confit Reuben!! Delicious!

::six::
To say that I am coffee obsessed is a bit of an understatement.  When I learned about moving to Buffalo, my immediate thought was to start finding those cute little hole in the wall coffee shops.  Took me some time, but I now have several places that make up for not being able to grab Cup a Joe in Raleigh whenever I want to.  First up: Sweet_ness 7 Café.  The best made-from-scratch breakfast options (shout out to the huevos rancheros!) and Vietnamese iced coffee!! If you haven’t tried sweetened condensed milk in your iced coffee yet, you need to start now!  If you are looking for a nitro pour iced coffee like I was (did I mention that I’m coffee obsessed?!), Public Espresso + Coffee is your spot.

::seven::
I somehow came across this bakery that makes everything from local farms down to the wheat that goes in the bread.  I loved the idea and knew I had to seek it out.  My first time at Five Points Bakery and Toast Café had me sending pictures to my husband, and telling him that he has to join me next time!  I had the Power Bread with goat cheese and peach/apricot preserves.  The food is so simple, served on cute mismatched plates and dishes, and the taste is AMAZING!  (side note: BEWARE – they go old school with no WIFI. Read a newspaper.)



::eight:: 
When it is hot in Buffalo (and it does get hot minus the humidity!!), Squeeze Juicery in Williamsville is always busy pushing out tasty smoothies and juices.  The smoothies are the real deal with over a dozen different types to choose from.  I usually go with the Sweet Jane: spinach, kale, avocado, banana, coconut, lemon, almond milk, chia, and flax.  Whoa!!

::nine:: 
Now, this next place is on the list because I have yet to find a great replacement for Neomonde in Raleigh, but have come close.  Pita Gourmet: family owned, Mediterranean options, and ALWAYS busy.  I’m a bit obsessed with their dill sauce with chicken souvlaki.

::ten:: 
Lastly, a quick rundown of a few random places: loved going to the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, joined the Buffalo Museum of Science, an obvious Niagara Falls is worth the trip either on the US or Canadian side, and we are dying for a second trip to Pausa Art House to listen to some jazz music! 



Buffalo has definitely started to grow on me, and I'm excited to keep exploring this new city!! 

Hope to talk to ya'll again soon!

signing off,
the other twin!

----

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Ek! Two Raleigh girls and one living in Buffalo? I live in Raleigh and my husband is from Buffalo originally! I did a few posts last month about places to visit, things to do, and places to eat in Buffalo. Have fun! It's a rich city with the best food! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a small world! I was looking back at your wedding posts - so beautiful!! Are you from Roanoke Rapids? My husband is from Northampton County! Thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete